I intend to produce an E.P. that shall consist of 4-5 tracks and be loosely based in the singer-songwriter, folk, soul and country-blues genres. I will play many instruments myself that will form the backbone of my songs but I will also utilise professional session musicians. I intend to employ a sound engineer to aid the production process, as I will be assuming the role of auteur producer. However my role encompasses far more than the creative vision, as I shall be performing, engineering, producing and managing the process. In doing so I hope to develop on my broad skillset in the field and mature into a contemporary producer.
My primary aim of this project is to:
‘Produce a four–to-five track E.P. to a high ‘release’ standard so that it can be employed to represent my skills as a producer.’
I understand this is a relatively broad statement, which is why I would also like to break this main aim into sub categories of Producer, Engineer and Artists and Repertoire in regards to my objectives and learning outcomes. In doing so I am able breakdown the three main roles of the contemporary producer and assign realistic yet challenging goals that will develop my skills in each category. I am confident that this will keep me focused and help me mature throughout the process.
My objectives for this category are as follows:
1. a) I shall write and record relevant arrangements while working with high quality session musicians.
1. b) I will analyse and critique other producer’s techniques and adapt them with the aim of creating a new sound, that is greater than the sum of it’s parts.
My learning outcomes for this role include:
1. a) I will have a greater understanding of arrangement and employ it to a professional standard in my songs. This will include the use of session musicians specific to each track in order to maintain my artistic integrity.
1. b) I will develop a ‘signature sound’ or ‘feel’ to the E.P. which shall be inherent in each track, thus aiding coherence.
My objectives comprise of:
2. a) I shall research mixing techniques, select the most suitable for my E.P. and apply them to the final product.
2. b) I will dedicate a great deal of time in the studio, employing a mixture of traditional and contemporary recording techniques to enhance the E.P..
My learning outcomes are:
2. a) I will have a greater knowledge of the art of mixing both theoretically and practically.
2. b) I shall have developed a larger skill set in the studio environment, aiding the creation of a high quality, balanced studio sound that is relevant for the genre.
3. Artist and Repertoire
My objectives consist of:
3. a) I will employ an assistant sound engineer.
3. b) I shall book equipment / rooms / artists in advance and manage the process in an efficient professional manner.
My final learning outcomes are:
3. a) I will further my abilities as an auteur producer, distributing and delegating work when appropriate to aid the production process.
3. b) I will have a greater understanding of the importance of the management aspect of production in regards to organisation of talent and creating a piece of work that helps develop the already talented musicians skills.